Salt dough is a great hands on activity for children of any age. There's no limit to the things you can craft with this versatile activity. You can create handprint keepsakes, leaf imprints, holiday ornaments, figurines, or even plates and bowls. Kids will love pouring, mixing and transforming the dough into funny shapes, and YOU will love building the memories from this fun and simple craft.
Salt Dough Ingredients
Salt dough is quick and easy to put together, here are the ingredients and tools you need...
· 240 grams (2 cups) white flour
· 120 grams (1 cup) Salt
· 230 ml (1 cup) Cold water
· Large bowl
· Parchment paper
· Sheet pan
· Paint, paint brushes, glitter, fabric, and any other crafting supplies you can think of for decorating your creations.
Salt Dough Instructions
Here’s how to whip up a batch of salt dough.
1. Cover your table with a tablecloth.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Mix well with hands.
3. Slowly pour in the water. Work the dough with your hands and fingers until it begins to come together.
4. Dump the dough on the table and knead until it’s fully formed.
5. Let your child free play with the dough, and work together to create cool figurines and ornaments.
6. Preheat oven to 160C (320F)
7. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the dough is completely hard. Cook times depend on how thick your creations are.
8. Transfer art to a cooling rack and allow to completely cool.
9. After the hardened dough is cool, set up a paint station and decorate to your hearts desire. If you've crafted something you intend on keeping, seal it with Mod Podge or other crafting sealant to extend the life of your art.
Warning: Salt dough can be toxic to dogs if eaten. Keep animals at a safe distance when crafting.